This morning, as I read my Bible, I felt the truth and goodness of God's word just washing over me. I am reading through Proverbs and am astounded at the wisdom of the verses. I realized that for the past week, not reading my Bible hasn't just been a lack of discipline, it's been a spiritual starvation period.
I remember days where I carried my Bible in my school bag, bringing it out to read in free moments. I remember having verses on the tip of my tongue while talking to friends because God's word was so present in my heart and life.
This morning, that love and desire resurfaced.
I glanced out to my porch, where a potted plant is struggling to survive. Despite getting fresh air and plenty of sunshine, the leaves are wilted and withering. I haven't watered it in a week as I was out of town. I wondered how much my own heart is like that: thirsty and struggling.
Although outwardly my lack of time in God's word was only this past week, I know that inwardly I have been struggling to read the Bible. I have been praying for an increased desire and this morning I felt the first stirrings of a renewed yearning for God to speak to me through His word.
YAY!
1 comment:
:)
I like how God uses his creation as analogies. Current e.g. I read was John 7:37-38.
I've been thinking about trees +roots+ water, and houses+foundations...
I even revived my mom's mother's day plant- I didn't understand why it had wilted the day I gave it to her. I realized the soil was dry to the core... I basically soaked the dirt in water and put in a bag and the plant came back to life.
Unlike the water I gave, the plant will still be thirsty. Only Jesus promises living water, and that when we come to him, and believe, our hearts will overflow with living water...
*ponder ponder*
Post a Comment