This is an excellent question. Most people sort of nod vaguely when I say I'm on staff with a Christian group on campus. As an undergrad, I was pretty sure this meant going out for coffee with students (30 hours a week), going to weekly meeting (4 hours a week) and phoning and emailing people (2 hours a week).
I'm here to clarify these ideas of what it actually means to be campus staff.
The weekly breakdown:
Prep Bible study: 1.5 Hours
Prep for staff training: 1.5 hours
Discipleship with Beth (where she imparts wisdom and wierdness into my life): 1.5/h
Prayer: 3 Hours
Bible Study (2): 3hours total
Training: 1.5 hours
Staff Meeting: 2.5 h
Weekly Meeting: 4 h
Administration and other responsibilites: 2 h
Discipling Michelle: 1 h
Residence outreach: 3h
Devotions: 3 h
Bonding time with students: 2 h
Evangelism: 3-5 hours (depending on the week)
Fridays vary between admin, support, day with God, training...(8 h)
So, as you can see, the week is pretty packed. All of these are approximate and vary week by week. But actually, no two days are the same. The basic activities would be planning (meetings, emails, prep) and time with students. My preference, undoubtedly, is time with students. However, I'm actually learning more and more that wisdom takes the time to pray and plan.
What does it mean to be campus staff? It means having a diverse and varied schedule, being flexible; meeting with students to pray, train and grow. It means spending time with the staff team growing in God's word and being trained; praying and working through the puzzles of ministry.
So...as you can see, I need a lot of energy and a lot of prayer!
1 comment:
weirdness! i impart weirdness? :)
just kidding. i love imparting "wisdom and weirdness" into your life.
Post a Comment