After 8 months on campus at UBC, I'm at my parents house in philadelphia planning my wedding, raising support for next year and spending time with family. Planning for a wedding is pretty crazy. So much emphasis is put on this one day: hair, nails, food...do we want lemon tablecloths or citrus? Chocolate cupcakes with white icing or vanilla with chocolate?
Each time I see someone at Church or get an email, the questions are similar, "Are you ready? How are the plans coming?" Mind you, I don't mind the questions or preparations. I'm living each day making decisions with the knowledge that in 41 days I'll be Mrs. Varun Rana. My choice in purchases, apartments to rent, conversations...are all made in light of the fact that I'm about to make a life long commitment to relationship with Varun.
(If you've read my blog for long, you might be able to guess where I'm headed....)
Sometimes, when I'm reading my Bible and praying, being in heaven with Jesus seems a long way off. I read in the Bible about the day I'll be united with Christ, how the Church is his bride. Usually, this analogy rings hollow and I begin to wonder who gets to be what part of the bride. But lately, this analogy has come alive. Having a relationship with God means that I have a future together with Him which I can anticipate...that, in a sense, we're engaged.
Having this relationship with God is not just about being "religious" or "getting saved"...it's actually a shift of worldview, values and perspective. This future together with God colours my choices, my ideas, my opinions...how I spend my time and my money. Like preparing for a marriage, my life on earth is a chance to prepare for an eternity spent loving God.
No comments:
Post a Comment