Monday, November 23, 2009

How Worrying is like Chocolate

We all know that after a long day of work or studying, what we really want to do is grab a bar of chocolate, flop onto the couch and begin to mull over the day's conversations, conflicts and concerns. (Or at least this is what those of us with two X chromosomes desire). Somehow, I think that worrying is an excellent accompaniment to chocolate because they are so similar.

There are an endless amount of things to worry about: money, job, family, health, friends, friend's health, friend's job, friend's money....like chocolate, things to worry about can be found quite easily, and for cheap. Worrying gives us something to mull over, something to chew on on the drive home, an excuse for being unkind to those we love, a reason to bite our lips and burn dinner. Worrying and chocolate distract us from life and keep us company when we just want to pout. Finally, and y'all knew this was coming, they're unhealthy! Too much chocolate, "they" say, is not so good for one's arteries, blood sugar level, ability to run on the treadmill for more than five minutes....Similarly, worrying is like lipids to our faith. In the race of faith, worrying slows us down, chokes our heart and encourages us to sit down and go "No way could I run a marathon, who do I look like, Lance Armstrong?" (Incorrect, but our lazy side doesn't care).

God tells us not to worry because it destroys us.

I know this. I have known this. I will know this. As Varun says, the longest journey is from the head to the heart. How I wish I could ditch worrying (or chocolate, for that matter).

Hmmm...actually. If i were to ditch chocolate, I'd need to eat something else, as I'm a very hungry girl. Probably I could eat crackers or celery or an apple. If I were to ditch worrying, I'd need to replace it with prayer, scripture, encouragement and brainstorming.

Not a bad idea....

1 comment:

yolanda said...

OK, probably not the right comment after your post, but what I would give for a chocolate bar right now!

It always nice to read your blog =)

-Yolanda