I've known for sometime that Canada, and specifically Vancouver, is becoming increasingly secular. Suspicion toward religion (especially Christianity) seems to be rising. Last week as I was walking home, I noticed this graffiti on a garage door on my block.
Clearly, the artist has had some experience in the Church and left feeling taken advantage of ("greed"), lonely ("isolation") and guilty ("feel bad"). I have to say these feelings are not uncommon. It's obvious that the artist felt a strong desire for HOPE...but really, don't we all?
Upon seeing this, I began to wonder what part I play in adding to people's feeling of guilt and isolation. Surely, if the artist had met Christ himself, there would have been an opportunity for acceptance and hope. I think that as Christians in a world that is becoming increasingly anti-religious, we need to expose ourselves for what we are: sinners who are hopeless without God's love. It's time that we stop acting self-righteous, annoyed, prudish and unfeeling toward non-believers. Like the artist, I too am often searching for Hope and meaning in a world that seems bleak.
What if we began to explore with our non Christian friends and neighbors those desires and fears that success and relationships leave unmet? What if we joined them in grieving, in celebrating and in questioning? I think it's time we come alongside people like this artist and love them where they are.
(Also) Check out
1 comment:
I totally agree...lately I've been thinking more about this topic during my teaching practicum. Some of the students (teachers as well) really need a touch of God's love.
Post a Comment