Monday, March 22, 2010

Taking the Gospel to the workplace!

Here's an account by one UBC student about how God has used her in her teaching practicum....

"As you might recall, I have begun my long practicum on Feb 1st, 2010... I was amazed about the importance of influencing the education sphere, especially as I pray and ask God to send out laborers into this field. This program has sharpened my spiritual eyes to see the realness of the spiritual warfare raging in this domain, especially as values and the truth are distorted in the name of "embracing diversity." Recently, the teachers of VSB (Vancouver School Board) and representatives of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual) movement have started pushing forth this movement to shape the BC curriculum. How important is prayer as we stand up and fight for our next generation! (As you might be aware, teachers are not permitted to impose any religious values in the school--you cannot openly share the gospel.)

Keeping this in mind and continually asking the Holy Spirit to use me, I was amazed at certain moments during the practicum. One short story: I have been praying for my sponsor teacher since the start of the short practicum in Oct 2009. She knew I was a Christian. During one of our conversations, she suddenly turned to me and asked, "Why are we here? What are we doing here?" (I was taken aback by the sincerity and abruptness of the question.) Then, my sponsor teacher told me that her friend's baby and the mother recently died in a plane crash... Soon, this conversation turned spiritual while the class was in session!!! (She was speaking to me in private. She briefly told me she's thinking more about death and heaven. She's really afraid of death now...)

Fast forward a few months later...in the second week of the extended practicum, I was alone with my sponsor teacher again. It was after school. We were talking, and suddenly she began to share about her asthma problem. What happened next was simply the spirit of God working in our midst. I was so surprised. As a Christ-ambassador, I need to clarify something with her: "I understand the school policy stipulates we are not permitted to openly discuss spirituality in the school. Isn't this correct?"

"Oh yes, that's right. You cannot speak speak about your religion to the students, but it's fine now. There are no students. You can tell me. I'm really interested.."

'What did she just say??!!' I thought to myself. WOW! God, you are Amazing! So, this conversation turned spiritual...I got to share my personal testimony with her, and a bit about Jesus' love...So, yes, this is just a simple story that I wanted to share with you! I hope you are encouraged! God is the God of the impossible! He makes all things work in His timing. There were moments, where I found myself paraphrasing the Scripture and sharing Biblical allusions to a student. Again, those moments were amazing and inspiring!

I hope you are encouraged because winter conference 2010 at the Hyatt really inspired me to apply the transferable skills of the gospel to the marketplace! "

2 comments:

Mindy said...

That's awesome, Meels. So encouraging to hear and motivates me to keep praying for my class. Hurray God!

By the way, I think you meant "fast forwarding" and not "fasting forward"... :)

... said...

Haha thanks! Fixed it :-)