Monday, August 25, 2008

Ponderings from a bike ride...

As I sped past the lush trees and breathed in the fresh summer air, I kept my gaze on the road ahead, careful to stay in the lane designated for bikes as buses and cars rushed past me on the left. Ahead, I noticed two twigs and imagined the slight bump I’d feel going over them. I thought, rather lazily, that I didn’t feel like even a minor bump. To my surprise, the wheel of my bike went smoothly in between the small space between the two twigs. I hadn’t consciously steered it, yet somehow I’d maneuvered the bike to avoid the sticks.



How interesting. Just by looking at a spot on the road and thinking about being there, my muscles and efforts were directed toward it. I suppose, then, it’s rather important what I look at!



I began to wonder about my “spiritual” eyes. What are my sights set on? Am I just living day by day with my eyes on the next meal or the next fun weekend? Are my eyes on the things of the world (success, money, happiness) or am I looking for something more? I actually found lots of Bible verses that talk about the eyes being the lamp of the body, and how important it is to set our sights on God.

I suppose if my vision is clear and my eyes are focused on eternity, all the little decisions will be made to steer me between the twigs and along the straight and narrow. Kinda, cool, eh? What are you looking at?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amelia,

I totally agree with you: if you tried to bike across town and only looked at the road one meter ahead so you could avoid debris in the road, you would probably be hit by a bus! Instead, you look to the horizon and stay alert, and the rest will come to you naturally. Keep your eyes on the eternity of God's love and you won't need to worry about a lot of little decisions along the way. Richard Rohr said it this way:

"Christian life has little to do with me doing anything right. It has everything to do with falling in love with a Lover who does everything right."

Keep up the fantastic blog! Your new color scheme is very refreshing.

Love,
Dad